Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It's TOMORROW

Hello dear readers!

My toothpaste is almost out so, I guess it's time to move.
Simultaneously, I also wish that waking up in the morning would bring another month at home.

There are no words for right now. So that makes this difficult to write. The great news is that logistics are falling smartly into place. You are reading this. Skype is up and running. The farewell tour lent a sense of completeness. I am now almost tired of barbeque, mexican food and fried chicken that is actually 'finger-lickin good' (things that don't exist in France). The hotel's picking us up from the Brussels airport. Antoinette Veron (the teacher 'responsible' for me) will collect me at the train station in Valenciennes on Saturday, then we get to eat lunch together and see the appartment and schools!

The sad side is missing all the fantasticness of home. Family. Friends. Church. Texas A&M. Hay bales. Cornbread. HEB. Monday Mornings. Really cheap cell phone minutes. When I get home, it will be time to paint. The other day my mom was thinking about how lots of paintings in museums were of everyday things. We think of them as unusual because we don't live in Europe or the 18th Century. To the artist, this stuff was just sitting around. It's funny how you start to savor every unique image of a place when you know you're about to leave. Maybe that's why people like to travel so much. It's a constant sense of alertness and discovery.

So praise the Lord, O my soul! The adventures is about to begin.

Please keep me updated on what's going on with you! I'll try to be faithful in replying and posting. If you download skype from http://www.skype.com/, you can talk to me for free. Look for me to be online Sunday afternoon (central time).

Much love,
Laura

2 comments:

Eric said...

You're finally freaking going to France! Wow, that is awesome!!
We will definitely miss you here but you will be in our prayers.
Keep us updated - it will be exciting to hear about all the fun French stuff like throwing frozen hams off the Eiffel Tower, etc.

Margaret Sylvia said...

Glad you are on your way. Have a great time! Vic and I are in Los Angeles right now because he is presenting at the Biomechanical Engineering conference here in Hollywood. Maybe Bernard will persuade Jessica to get over to Europe. I know he loves it there but travel is not her thing. I know how she feels because LA is just about far enough for me to go.

I posted the wedding pictures I have so far at http://picasaweb.google.com/margaretsylvia/

I started posting them at Walgreens but the upload there is so slow, it was taking forever.

Take a look. I don't have too many of the Joost side of the family but maybe someone else took some. I don't have the professional photos yet, obviously.

Anyway, have fun and stay safe.

Margaret