Last night, we ordered fondue! Three types of melted cheese! Now I understand the fondue pot craze--it's fantastically delicious. Here, they serve it with a plate of different meats and a basket of croutons. Interestingly, the word crouton transends the language barrier.
Right now they are having an arts festival in the city an almost 70 different lion and polar bear statues hide on city corners. But those aren't the only lions we saw today. Additionally, Sarah and I took a promenade in the Parc de Tete d'Or (the park of the Golden Head), which houses a zoo. This was a magnificent plus, because I didn't know there was a zoo there! They had lions, tigers and 8 different types of monkey. These animals lived behind shockingly minute, easily surmountable fences. So, if you have time, try googling "Lyon" "Zoo" and "Escaped Animals." Results may appear.
Backtracking un petit peu-- Arles had sun, sun, sun our last day there! Sarah and I finished up our Arles Museum Pass. My favorite thing was Les Alyscamps, an ancient Roman necropolis. Dante immoralized it. Van Gogh painted it. And it's so tranquille today. We went in the chapel at the end (a Christian one from the 12th century) and only had to share it with 3 cooing pigeons. Too often, sites are over-run with tourists. It makes the quiet ones shine in comparison! This made our night in Carcassonne special as well, most everyone left around 7pm, and we could see the illuminated medival city without disruption.
Anyway, all that to say, the trip's going well. I can't believe the one-week mark passed on Saturday! What day is it anyway? I tend to only remember how many days in a row I've worn this pair of blue jeans. And when did we make that PBJ?

No comments:
Post a Comment