Christmas has been lovely here with Sarah's family. It is so humbling how kind and welcoming they are! Sarah's cousin Hilary and her fiance Peppe (a chef) came from Geneva with their cat and dog in tow, and we've all had a wonderful time. It's hard being away from home, and so this is a blessing.
When we arrived, it was really cold. Frost covered the ground in a thick layer. Since then, it has melted and the grass is green underneath. They live in a mountainous region of France, so next to their house is a river and a steep summit. 15 foot long icicles hang down from where a stream drips in warmer weather. And it's freezing, so much that you can just leave food outside. Not enough room in the refridgerator? No problem, put it on the porch. This is a strange habit to get used to.
I have tried lots of foods since arriving. Oysters. Foie Gras. Caviar. Terrine. Surprisingly, these things are not disgusting. My grandpa was right all along! Dinner at 10 pm makes it impossible to wake up before 10 am and eat breakfast. It's a completely different schedule.
It's been so relaxing. I'm not ready to leave! But tomorrow, Andie (a friend from college) and I will meet in Brussels and travel around a bit. We're going to Berlin, Dublin and London. Then it's back to work on January 8th.
And Happy New Year in case I don't post before then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment