Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Paris in the Sunnyshine

Was wonderful! Cold and sunny. Today I truly enjoyed the city. A few summers ago, everything was hot and crowded. Last time, it was cold, rainy and crowded. People love Paris because of days like this. I'm sure.

Sarah and I strolled around the Latin Quarter in the morning. The Sorbonne, France's oldest university is there, and gave the area its moniker because during the Middle Ages, everyone spoke Latin there. We ate lunch with a professor from A&M who is on sabbatical writing a book and lecturing at the Sorbonne! What fun! They had the fanciest flower-shaped tater tots I have ever seen.

In the afternoon we visited the Marais and saw:
A lock of Marie Antoinette's hair
The left epaulette of General La Fayette
Victor Hugo's bedroom
Street signs in Hebrew
Plates covered in Revolutionary propoganda
And the site of the Bastille (but they tore it down... nothing's there but a giant traffic jam)

This is refreshing. Renaissance art in Italy wore me out! When we went to Nancy last weekend, Sarah and I loved looking at the odd modern art. After a month of classic, you just need to see a flashlight projecting onto a spinning bicycle wheel on the end of a table, and some real make-you-think paintings. We also saw lots of art glass and things from the Ecole de Nancy.

Only two more days of work! A teacher friend from Texas got her class to write Christmas letters to a class of students here, and we're passing the letters out tomorrow. I can't wait! I'm just a little nervous because the kids' letters are precious and all start out with a sentence about how we celebrate Christmas because of Jesus' birth... but there may be a rule against reading that in a French class room? I'm not sure. It is a fact though! Christmas wasn't started to liven up the winter with decorations and cookies.

No comments: