Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Fiesta!

Well, one option remains when one misses eating flour tortillas and cannot buy decent ones. That recourse? Hand-make them. So this afternoon, I pretended to be one of the floury women posted in the center island of HEB and fine Mexican restaurants who roll tortillas.

They actually came out really almost perfect, and it was fun watching them puff up on the griddle. I'm not claiming that they were all circular. Some looked more like hearts. Others...just oblongly. However, they far surpassed the shelf-stable perfectly-rounded Old El Paso ones sold here. The ones with handy picture instructions detailing how to fold fajitas and burritos.

Europeans frequently print step-by-step pictures instead of instructions (which have to be translated into 8 languages including Polish and Portugese). When in Italy, we actually found a box with a "How to Make a Bowl of Cereal" 3-part diagram. But I digress.

You, fine reader, may have noticed from the postings that things have been a bit slow here...But here goes the recap. Yesterday it snowed/sleeted. Twice. Once at recess and once at night. The French word for sleet is grele, which is exceptionally hard to pronounce. I sang Old McDonald a bare minimum of 18 times in the last week and constructed animal masks out of paper plates. I found a store named The Unbelievable--and indeed, the merchandise lives up to its name. Everything, as you may have guessed, inside is very, very inexpensive and tacky. A few of my teachers chided me for not wearing a scarf to school (thought that was sweet). And one of my friends got a job in Paris for the summer!

No comments: