Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Language Woes

A quote from 'My Fair Lady' I find to be true:
The French don't care what they do actually
As long as they pronounce it properly


As Ascot looms this weekend, I thought it was time to revisit an old favorite (who remembers the scene where Eliza goes to the races?). Somehow, according to every English person I can find to ask, this movie is practically unknown in England, despite the fact that the musical has run in the West End for decades. Perhaps English people don't need a film to see their culture. Regardless, the movie just gets better the more I see it and recognize bits of culture and glimpses of the city.

This Saturday is Ladies Day at Ascot--the most important one--the one of monumental hats. The Queen will be there! And so will I! Although I couldn't afford a hat, just a brown hair clip with feathers, I should pass muster. Caroline, Drew, Megan and I are going with some other people. I'm really excited about seeing Megan (Australian roommate Megan) after two months!

Anyway back to the quote. Lately, I've been reflecting on my french language skills. At some point, a few months ago, I hit a plateau and in crept laziness. Comprehension and speaking on a basic level are alright, but I haven't mastered an elevated form of address. When I arrived in September, I spoke like a 5 year old. Maybe now I'm an 11 year old. But that's still far from expressing myself like a refined adult. This frustrates me, because now I'm leaving too soon to work on it much more. Pronunciation still gets me every time. I avoid using certain words because they sound too similar to gross mots (bad words).

No comments: