Friday, May 28, 2010

Notes from Today - Hello from the Vienna Woods

I'm writing this post from a dark wooden desk in a 4-bedroom house on the north side of the city near the forest. Its previous residents must have just departed because tomatoes in the fridge haven't gone bad yet. The only downside is that the cleaning crew hasn't been here! So, this post is brought to you by Jeremy's request and because my sheets aren't dry.

The washing machine sounds like a wailing UFO that might levitate this house. It is marked with unusual settings - Pflegeleicht? Intensiv Fecken? Schleudern 1200, 1000, 800 or 600? Extraspulen? Knitterschutz? I have no idea what these mean and just pretended I was choosing the answer to a multiple choice question. The dryer spins liquid out of the laundry that collects in a reservoir. You have to empty the little container before starting another load!

So, guess who was an hour early for work this morning! Apparently, Austria has daylight savings time, too! This means Texas and Austria are 7 time zones apart, not 8. The security guards thought I was casing the joint because I walked by at 8:45 to see where to go, 9:00 to get in and then again at 10:00.

My supervisor had to escort me around until a badge could be made. It's blue. Why hasn't anyone declared "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" all day? We picked up keys to this house and the apartment I can move into Tuesday. The other interns seem fun.

The rash I noticed last night still hasn't gone away. The pharmacist said it was an allergic reaction. But to what?? Austria? One of my favorite sentences in German - Haben Sie eine Salbe gegend Windelausschlag? (Do you have an ointment for diaper rash?) - finally paid off big time! This encounter was actually a milestone in conversational German. How did she only ask questions I understood and knew the answer to? Anyway, she told me to go see a dermatologist at the hospital, but that seems a bit "rash" at this point.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should write a book, the life of Laura! you could model it after your blog, semi-random notes from the day to day life of a traveler...

-EP

Kim Joost said...

Laura triumphant! What an excellent job that you have done adapting to the many challenges that have been put in your path, and how expressively you write about them. Your proud mother. :-)

Anonymous said...

Laura! You didnt say anything about your job except that they didnt say we dont need no stinkin badges! Did you meet Hans "Brix"?

Abby said...

You should make it your goal to say MY favorite sentence in German: "I will deine Kinder essen."