These past few weeks we have gotten into the routine of life in Brazil, and we're back in the swing of working and studying. I'm enrolled in a Portuguese language school and love my classes. It's been fun meeting Marcio's friends and family and trying to figure out how to get things done here. For the first few weeks, we were utterly spoiled by lunch and dinner invitations, so much so that I didn't figure out how to operate much in the grocery store and kitchen. The food here is wonderful, and I would be concerned about coming home with a Brazil belly if we didn't walk so much everyday.
The weather has been moving back and forth between winter, spring and summer. I hope that spring will start sticking soon! We had several storms lately, one of which knocked out the power to the whole city for two hours on Saturday night. Strangely, this was not a huge deal. We tried to listen to the local radio to hear when it might come back on, and the broadcast of the local team's soccer game was not interrupted to convey this information. The outage happened right before we were set to go to a birthday party for one of Marcio's aunts at a fancy bistro. It felt very odd getting dressed up in the dark with the light of a single small flashlight, but I thought this might be what it's like to be Hilary Clinton visiting Pakistan (or another country with electricity shortages). The party was really fun, and I met a whole new batch of family members. Despite the large number of family gatherings I've gone to, there continue to be substantial numbers of cousins and uncles I have not met. It's getting confusing.
I want to catch up on posting all the fun things we've seen around the city. So those posts will start. Now.
No comments:
Post a Comment