Somehow this week, I have only served four hours at the grindstone. Not for lack of trying. Interestingly, I have spent almost that long on trains. Wednesday, I went to Boulolgne-sur-Mer with Drew (my favorite Californian) and Nina (my favorite Indo-Canadian). We had a ball looking around the 13th century village perched high on a hill. We saw the sea. We saw a castle. We saw lots of mussels and french fries (and tasted them, too).
Then yesterday, I had an appointment in Lille at the Prefecture to pick up a recepisse of my carte de sejour. Thinking this would take all day (because this is France), I told my schools I wouldn't be there. About five of us had appointments. Imagine our surprise when we walked in and picked them up from the information desk on the first floor. No climbing stairs, winding corridors and confusion. No lines. No hassle. No frustrating lack of papers we didn't think we'd need to bring. This is by far the easiest thing that I've done in France. So we celebrated with a hot chocolate from Paul. This is by far the deliciousest thing that I've tasted in France. Very thick melted chocolate in a glass mug. 90% of English Assistants think that Paul is the best restaurant/bakery in France, and even one of the best things about France.
So we passed a lovely afternoon strolling and browsing through Lille. Then I tried to go to work this morning, but the class was gone. A teacher said they were running a race? Either that or shopping or taking a class. It's one of those words in French that can mean lots of things. But honestly, I would have liked to work today. Teaching the kids is great fun. And I sort of miss it now.
Tuesday, I played Twister with two classes. We practiced colors, left/right and dexterity. Some of them got it. Others didn't. But the room was filled with enthusiasm. Also, it was one girl's birthday. And when you have a birthday in France, you bring cake to your teachers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Which word means all of those things?
It's "cours" or "course" but it's hard to hear the difference.
Post a Comment