Monday, November 19, 2007

Inspired

I just finished reading this article by Art Buchwald. Then a little bit about his life, and it really inspired me. Hope you like it.

Things here have been sort of slow. Imagine maple syrup dripping slowly out of a tree tap that is moving and freezing at the same time. The transit workers are still on strike. Today I got stranded after work in a neighboring town because the tramway stopped... and then walked 45 minutes in the wintery wind blasts over the river and through the woods back home. My roommate Megan is actually stranded in London because of the strikes, so I shouldn't complain. That's much further.

To combat this, I made Oatmeal Pancakes and pretended like I was at home. It works if I close my eyes and smell peanut butter.

But there are lots of things to be thankful for:
-Getting a Happy Thanksgiving card in the mail
-Encouraging emails
-Skype conversations
-Finding Quaker Oats at the store today (in a box!)
-Electric fan heaters
-Chinese websites that allow me to keep up with American television while learning Chinese via the subtitles... I now recognize the characters for "No" "I" and "Well".

2 comments:

becca87m said...

Hey Laura

I found ur blog on your Facebook page, I hope you don't mind! (feel free to read mine if you like!!)

I was just wondering if you were doing anything on Wednesday? I may finally be able to get out of this town, and would love to meet up with everyone! Seriously am going mad here! (read my last blog post to get an idea!!)

Let me know, either message me on Facebook, or leave a comment on my blog or somthing!!

Hopefully cya soon!

Rebecca

Uncle Vic said...

Dear Laura,

We will miss you on Thanksgiving. Please make sure that you eat some turkey and think of Texas and be thankful for this wonderful world, family and good friends. Here's a Turkey Song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR0XqSxA0Rw

Uncle Vic