Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hugs not Drugs

People here don't really hug.
Not that I've ever seen.

Instead, they faire la bise-- they do cheek kisses when meeting, greeting and leaving. This is all well and good, and I am finally starting to get used to it.

There are lots of tacit yet observable rules of etiquette that go along with this process.
1. If the person is 'superior' to you, wait for them to initiate the bisou.
2. If the other person doesn't do anything, it may be up to you or it may not be appropriate. Then you have to decide if it's worth seeming rude to avoid being more rude.
3. Always go to the left first.
4. If you know someone well, watch out because you might get two on each side.
5. Guys shake hands sometimes but not always. (Girls don't shake hands here.)
6. If both people are wearing glasses, carefully calculate the trajectory so that the frames do not clink together.

Regardless, I miss good old-fashioned hugs.

No comments: