Thursday, October 18, 2007

The REAL national sport of France

Today all the French transportation employees are on strike for more benefits.

Because I live next to the Prefecture--a governmental office building--I walked to my tramway stop this morning and saw something rather unusual. The vision of blue-collar workers wearing vests, waving flags and chanting will be forever burned in my memory. Policemen stood about watching them and didn't seem too concerned about anything. I actually can't get to one of my schools (no buses or trams), so they said not to worry about coming into work today. The other two thought about making me walk there, and then let me off the hook.

When will I actually work? We have a 1.5 week vacation beginning October 26th.

Later, I walked down the street and saw the crowd of multi-colored protesters earnestly marching towards me! I videoed part of it. Honestly, I couldn't stop smiling because of wanting to laugh so hard. They really do love a good strike. Apparently whenever one sector strikes, others do, too, just for "solidarity"! This would neeeeeever happen in Texas.

By the way, Sarah and I met up in Lille yesterday! It was fantastic! We ate lunch with a bunch of other assistants in a restaurant/bakery that had wall painted like an Italian villa. Our trip to Italy is approaching, how appropriate! Then we strolled around the old city center looking in bookshops, taking photos and laughing.

No comments: