Sunday, July 11, 2010

Spices and drindels and lamps, oh my!

The Naschmarkt is a huge open air market for produce, spices, antiques, and just about anything and everything a chap can unload.  I've been trying to come here for the last several Saturdays but kept getting lost en route. This time, I just followed a small stream of people trailing off from Karlsplatz. And sure enough that worked. A market has been located at this spot since the 1700s.


Today it looks like this




Please, continue to feast with your eyes




So you get the idea. There are loads of restaurants and stands (and people). And everything smells amazing (except some of the people). Never have I ever wished to have 4 stomachs so badly before in my life. You walk by vendors selling every kind of cheese and smoked meat. You walk by vendors selling fresh seafood, with octopus on ice, and grilling 3 euro fish sandwiches. You walk by vendors who sell only spices and teas. Some have fresh breads from local starters. Other sell antipasti like hummus and dolmas and grilled veggies and dates stuffed with cheese. If only there was a way to capture smell.

It was hard to decide what kind of hummus (chumas) to choose. I settled on wasabi and red bell pepper. Then if you give a girl some hummus, she has to buy marinated black olives and flat bread. And if she has black olives covered in herbes de provence and flat bread and hummus, there will have to be a dinner on the roof. As you can see , Peter and Chase scored the best apartment out of any of the interns. We would be more jealous if they weren't great hosts who share their roof.


Because this is the view from the roof


I also found a vendor selling antique postcards! These are my favorite souvenirs to collect, as they are small and lightweight. What a beautiful and relaxing day!

No comments: