Monday, June 7, 2010

And in between the United Kingdom and Uruguay...

I got to sit!!!! I got to sit in the seat behind the silver "United States of America" plaque in the giant UN conference room. Behind the microphone that has 5 channels. In a blue armchair. All by myself. It was AMAZING.

The Ambassador and his crew were walking up the stairs and out the door as I was walking in, and he looked at me and grinned and said "Hey, why don't you go sit in our seat." So, I, in utter floating disbelief, walked down those stairs and sat down in the seat of power. Someone had to do it. That guy from Uruguay was inching over. No way are we losing ground to South America! The elderly gentlemen sitting in the UK's spot looked at me as if I was perhaps lost in the 'U' section. I considered implementing some sweeping policy changes in technical cooperation but decided it was best to bide my time. Maybe I'll get to sit there another day! It was just fabulous to sit there. I can't describe it. To feel like the Voice of The United States of America.

The way the seats are arranged is very odd, and it's hard to figure it out... It's partially alphabetical and partially not. But just so you know, the Vatican is the "Holy See" and is right next to Hungary. I think they chose the name to be higher in the alphabet and closer to the front. Palestine also has it's own seat.

The BoG has been interesting - lots of people and lots of things to keep up with although the meetings are dreadfully boring. Dreadfully. I spent most of the time this morning talking to a delegate from Belgium while people had the translator headphones on. There are 5 or 6 language channels. The translators do an incredible job of simultaneously listening and speaking. Mid-morning I had to take out my left contact lens because it had a terrible and persistent problem that resulted in me crying and winking every few minutes... This is not the sort of signal it's best to send at the UN.

The meetings run from 10-1.. then have a 2 hour lunch break, then 3-6. So I'm working late every day this week. Oh well. Someone has to save the planet from nuclear proliferation. It's funny because for as much time as we spend in the boardroom, most of the real work seems to be done at the coffee bar!

Oh yeah and I went to a concert last night. But that's another post... I have loads more photos!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Insanely jealous!