Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday in the kitchen

Bisquick--slow

Buttermilk biscuits. Of course, I am overcome by an irrational craving for buttermilk biscuits in a country that bakes pumpernickel and tough yeast rolls. So... remembering my baking adventures in France, I decided to take a crack at them.

Incredibly, Austria sells "Buttermilch"... and I sort of knew how to find baking power in tiny packets because that's how they sell it in France. The only thing I screwed up on is baking soda. I saw this little box.


Wouldn't you think on a box with a picture of a BISCUIT on it, there would be some sort of baking soda inside? No. False assumption. There are these mini-disks made out of starch. Apparently they are the "wafer" bottom of a cookie. 






This brings us to butter. Like in France, they are very particular about butter and what kind of grass/ cow nationality the milk that is made in to butter comes from. I bought "summer butter" made from Austrian cows that ate Austrian grass only in the summertime. Not sure what "summertime" is defined as ... it's still 55 and rainy. 



Oh yeah, and then you get to measure everything with one of these. Notice my sad little basil plant in the background... I think it's not getting enough sun? Maybe it's just too cold here? Anything that grows well in Texas can't be too hearty here.

 So I kneaded and rolled with a fake rolling pin (a old paper towel roll covered in aluminum foil) and ended up with these. Doesn't the one in front sort of look like a puppy dog? Yes. It does. 

2 comments:

Abby said...

HAHAHA, I tried to make corn bread in Germany for my host family and ended up breaking down in tears in the middle of their kitchen from utter frustration...i feel ya darling. Were they tasty at least?

Laura said...

Oh Abby, that's funny! Yeah, the puffs of flour all over the kitchen and the complex math nearly drove me to tears, but the frustration was worth the biscuits. Tasted a little strange because of the lack of baking soda tho...