Sunday, June 20, 2010

Images from this weekend

Saturday, I started at Karlsplatz.  Look at this Jugendstil U-bahn (Metro) stop designed by Otto Wagner. Vienna is ridiculous.


 The platz famous for this baroque church that was built during one of the plagues to commemorate Cardinal Borromeo... the patron saint of getting rid of plagues. It was designed by Fischer von Erlach - who also worked on a lot of the Viennese palaces. [Comment: The left side of the building had unsightly scaffolding. So I took this picture so you only see the good bits. End comment.]


What's cool about this church is that you can go up in the lantern of the dome because they're doing restoration - straight up into the dome (not just the perimeter or the spires), up about a million flights of stairs.

It's awesome to see from the middle how they painted the dome fresco on a curvature.

Then somehow I made it to the Belvedere Palace. Built for Prince Eugene of Savoy... 


Inside they have an art museum and a cafe. So, after all my lengthy wanderings, I had to try this:


It's strawberry passion fruit torte. I'm thinking if I put enough pictures of cakes up on this blog, people will come visit me.

So inside the art museum, they had lots of crazy things, including Klimt's The Kiss


And a series of very entertaining character heads by Messerschmidt. 


This one is entitled the "The Enraged and Vengeful Gypsy." They all had funny names, such as "The Incapable Bassoonist" or "The Constipated One" and most of them fit, but this one just doesn't!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Does Prince Eugene of Savoy have a descendent who's eligible handsome and 30ish?

Laura said...

I would have to thoroughly vet him for you. The first one was a French Prince who ended up set up court in Vienna because he famously ugly - to ugly for Paris!