Saturday, June 12, 2010

World Cup Mania

Everyone here is excited about the World Cup. Yesterday the South African Ambassador handed out multi-colored scarves to all the other Ambassadors to wear in honor of the games. The commercials on TV* are all about transnational unity... but really, I think this series is an eruption of miniature wars.

I'm going to watch the UK v US game soon - if only to ensure that we win.

Today has been a good day, so perhaps we will. I found coat hangers at a store called Leiner on Mariahilferstrasses, one of the best shopping streets. At least that's one victory!


*TV here is interesting - I get 5 channels of AFN or Armed Forces Network... the programming seems to be mostly kung fu and sports. Interspersed between shows are very low budget commercials on vigilance and security. Better than nothing, but by a hair. This is similar to the way that trolls are cute because of their absurdity.

No comments: