Sunday, June 27, 2010

The SALES! Des SALDI! Les SOLDES!

I'm a little behind the times here in Austria - but apparently the biannual summer sales event began last weekend and everywhere is in a shopping frenzy. A tide of shoppers met me as I stepped out the front door yesterday morning. In France, they could only legally have sales (even as low as 30% off) twice a year - and while I'm unclear of the domestic legislation, it's probably the same here.

So the goal for the morning was to find oil pastels (compromise between oil paints and the colored pens in my purse now). All the art supplies in Vienna must be hiding someplace (in the basement at the Art Museum?) because I can't find them anywhere! This doesn't make sense.

Then I spent the afternoon in the Art History Museum as a consolation. 
Yep, that whole building is filled with art.

And cheered on the US team against Ghana in the World Cup game at Molly Darcy's Irish Pub (not to be confused with Waxy Murphy's Irish Pub - why do they all end in 'y's?)


Look at my very patriotic friends! The game was great... until we lost by one point in overtime.

No comments: