Monday's Wanderings
I started out at Karlsplatz, at the Opera. The official seat of European classical music. While the building looks gorgeous in its neo-renaissance splendor to the American eye, the critical reception of the building in 1869 led the architect to commit suicide.
Then I walked by St. Stephan's Cathedral with its colorful tile roof.
Right across the street is the Haas Haus.
You can see the cathedral in the reflection!
I lunched at Demel's - an elegant Viennese Cafe famous for kaffee und kuchen.
They serve you sugar and milk in real silver!
You can watch as the pastries chefs make the cakes.
And I ended up in the Volksgarten outside the Hofburg Palace. This was a complete surprise. Imagine 100s of the most amazing rosebushes you've ever seen in long rows wrapping around a french garden. In every color and every size and shape and name imaginable.
And some of them are named after people! How marvelous would it be to have a rose named after you, like Mrs. Miniver in the old British movie. This is my new favorite place.





No comments:
Post a Comment